Talking to people on text messaging apps can sometimes be overwhelming, especially if you are part of a group. When there are too many people talking at the same time it can be hectic and even a bit frustrating. The same applies to groups on the Line chat app, which can have up to 500 members apiece.
If you lose interest in talking to the group or regret joining it in the first place, there is an easy solution – you can simply leave the group. However, keep in mind that the members of the chat or group you leave will be notified when you do that.
Keep reading to find out how to leave a chat room or group on the Line app and discover some other useful tips.
How to Leave Chat Rooms on the Line Chat App
First of all, you should know there is a difference between a multi-person chat and a group on Line. Multi-person chat rooms are more personal as you can only add people in your friends list to them, i.e. they are not public.
The bad side of multi-person chat rooms is that you can be added to them without any consent. Unlike groups, you are not asked to join them. A friend of yours can decide to add you and a bunch of other people to a chat room whether you like it or not.
Luckily, you can leave a chat room at any time. Here is how:
- Open the Line app on your device.
- Tap on the Chats bubble in the bottom-left of your screen.
- Click on the desired chat room (you will see the names and the total number of members).
- Once you are in this chat, tap on the arrow in the top-right corner.
- You will get a dropdown menu with many options including Leave chat.
- Confirm the prompt by selecting OK.
- It will entirely delete the chat room and the messages from it.
Note that others will see that you have left the multi-person chat. There is no secret way of doing it.
How to Leave Groups on the Line Chat App
On the other hand, groups are open to the public via links, QR codes, and email and text invites. This means they can blow up pretty fast and have dozens if not hundreds of people in them. If you are a reserved person or an introvert, this might bother you.
Nobody likes being spammed with messages, especially from unknown senders. Even extroverts can get sick of it after a while. You can leave a group at any time by following these steps:
- Start the Line app on your device.
- You will land on the Friends screen by default.
- Somewhere in the middle of your screen, you should see a list of all groups you’re a member of.
- Enter the group you would like to leave.
- Select Chat in the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Tap on the arrow in the top-right.
- Choose Leave from the menu.
- Tap Confirm, and you will no longer see the group, its member list, or any of the messages previously sent.
Same as with chats, the group will be notified that you left. Fun fact: you can leave the group even if you are its creator.
Alternatives to Leaving a Chat
If you’re uncomfortable with others seeing you have left a group or chat, there are other measures you can take.
You can mute chats in both groups and multi-person chat rooms like this:
- Open the Line app.
- Enter the Chats window at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the group or multi-person chat you want to mute.
- Tap the arrow at the top-right to see the menu.
- Choose Mute chat.
- You will no longer see the messages from this group or chat.
- You can unmute the chat if you change your mind by following the same steps.
You can use the steps above to mute a 1-on-1 conversation as well. If you are wondering, there is no way to leave a 1-on-1 chat.
Instead, you can block a person and never receive any calls or messages from them. Block is also a part of that same menu. This person will not be notified that you blocked them.
Abandon ShipNot everyone likes group chats on messaging apps. Even those who do can get bored with them after a while.
What are your thoughts on this matter? Do yohttps://www.novodasoftware.com/u like messaging dozens of people at once, or do you prefer taking your time to talk to them individually? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.