Facebook is the biggest social media platform in the world, with the highest number of accounts and active users. Although this has many upsides, it feels like Facebook is becoming overcrowded.
For a few years after Facebook was created, you were lucky if you had 100 friends, and some thought even that was too much. Now, everyone and their grandma has a profile and they will add you even if you only met them once. This is fine until they start spamming your inbox.
As soon as they see a green dot next to your name, some acquaintances will swoop in and bombard you with messages. If that’s a problem you have to deal with, you can simply log on Facebook without letting others know.
How to Turn Your Active Status off
Your active status is what gives you away on Facebook. As soon as you get online, others will see you on their active users list with a big green dot attached to your name. Likewise, you will see their active status if they have enabled this option.
Everyone has their active status turned on by default on both Facebook and Messenger. When you disable it, you will no longer know whether your friends are active or were recently active. More importantly, they won’t see you either. There is a slight delay between being active and being recently active, it is not specified how long it takes to change.
To get completely off the grid, you need to turn active status off on all your devices. Let us take a look at how you can do that.
How to Turn Active Status off on Your Browser
Facebook reported recent statistics showing that over 95% of their active users use Facebook on their smartphones. But you can still access it through your browser on any device.
Active Status on Facebook Chat
Follow these steps to turn active status off:
- Log into Facebook on your browser.
- Look at the chat menu in the bottom-rihttps://www.novodasoftware.com/ght corner.
- Click on the gear icon (Options), furthest to the right.
- Choose Turn Off Active Status.
- You can choose between turning it off completely, only for some contacts, or for all contacts except the ones you choose.
This is actually the platform which lets you be the most specific about your activity. If you want to make yourself invisible only to your exes, or visible only to your closest friends, use Facebook Chat via your browser. It is up to you to decide who gets to see you and who doesn’t.
Active Status on Messenger
Turn it off like this:
- Log into Messenger using a browser.
- Chat is now on the left side and the gear icon is in the top-left corner.
- Click on it and then on Settings.
- The first thing you will notice is a “Show when you’re Active” toggle in the center of your screen.
- Click on the toggle to Go Offline and it will turn from green to gray.
This is fairly straightforward, and there are no additional specifications.
How to Turn off Active Status on iOS and Android Apps
The relevant features are identical on both Messenger for iOS and Messenger for Android. Here is what you need to do to turn it off:
- Start Messenger on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Look for your profile photo either in the top left corner for iOS, or after tapping the gear icon in the top-right corner for Android.
- You should see the Active Status feature near the bottom of your screen.
- When you tap it, you will see the slider for “Show when you are active”.
- Toggle it off.
Hide the Green Dot Today
Staying invisible on Facebook is not hard, but you have to cover every app and device you use to access Facebook. Many feel that the process isn’t transparent enough, as Facebook wants all its users to be available and easy to reach every time you log on.
If people notice that you were recently active, they will message you even when you have no time to reply. You can come off as rude or uncommunicative, so it’s usually better to turn your active status off. What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you prefer browsing Facebook incognito or you want to be available to all of your friends? Let us know you think in the comments below.
How to Use FaceTime Without WiFi
How to Delete All Downloaded Podcasts on the iPhone/iOS
Phone Number Has Been Spoofed! — What to Do to Fix the Problem