Creating collages is fun but it can also be a very good creative outlet. These days technology is making it even easier to turn our ideas into realities. Collaging is no different, as photo manipulation software and mobile application options are being developed at a breakneck pace. Every once in a while, though, a real gem shows up and in the world of collage making, that gem is the Unfold app.
Released in early 2019, Unfold is a very recent addition to the collection of collage making apps. In the time since, however, it has grown very quickly and garnered a devoted following. In this article, you will learn some Unfold basics and how to use it to make a stunning collage.
What Is the Unfold App?
Unfold is the brainchild of two university students as a response to the wildly popular Stories feature of Instagram. The idea behind Unfold was to make an app that helps users make their Story stand out. The app is centered around Instagram but it works just as well for curating your content over a wide range of social media platforms.
Billed as a “toolkit for storytellers,” Unfold focuses on helping you structure your photos with design principles in mind. The result is a professional-looking set of images that are ready to share. A lot of work seems to have gone into creating a beautiful interface with an intuitive, easy-to-use workflow.
The app is loaded with features and could easily employ a purchase model, but as of writing this article, it’s free to use with in-app purchases. It offers premium templates that are professionally designed and well worth the cost for someone who is more serious about their social media presence.
Collages in Unfold
The process for making compositions in Unfold is very simple. The app removes any distracting elements and basically leaves only the essentials. This isn’t to say that you won’t have options to be creative but a basic, social media-ready collage will take mere minutes to create. Follow the steps outlined here to learn the fundamentals.
- Download the Unfold app — The app is available on both Android and iOS so you’ll find it in your respective store.
- Create your first story — Once you’ve launched the app, you will be greeted by a simple black background with a “+” button near the bottom. Tap this button and choose a name for your story then tap the “Create” button.
- Choose the layout for your collage — After you create your story, a very similar screen to the previous one will display. Tap the &ldquhttps://www.novodasoftware.com/o;+” button again and you will be shown a variety of templates to choose from. You can scroll down to see more templates and also scroll through template collections on the bottom of the screen. Choose one that speaks to you and matches the number of photos you want to work with.
- Populate your template — Tap anywhere on your template to be directed to your device’s media gallery. A very nice benefit of using Unfold is their arrangement with the stock photo provider Unsplash. If you need some inspiration or another photo for your collage, tap the “Unsplash” button in the gallery. You can create more collages in the same story by tapping the “+” button again for as many times as you need.
- Get Creative — Unfold has many neat features that allow you to customize your collage. In the bottom right of the story screen, you will see a “pencil” button – tap this button to add text boxes and stickers or change the color of the background. More options are being added to this feature so you might want to check in regularly and see what has changed. The two arrow buttons at the top of the screen allow you to undo and redo actions, a very handy feature.
- Save your collage — Once you’re satisfied with your work, tap the save button in the top right corner and you’ll be offered to save just one page or your entire story. The images will save to your device’s galley ready to be shown to the world.
A Brave New World
The steps outlined in this article are a great starting point but there’s more to Unfold than just making collages. It’s taking the social media world by storm, so explore the app and learn about all the beautiful images you can create.
The developer seems keen to listen to community feedback, so if you found it particularly useful leave them a review and some feedback. Who knows, you might be able to claim features you helped create in a future version of the app!
How to Use FaceTime Without WiFi
How to Delete All Downloaded Podcasts on the iPhone/iOS
Phone Number Has Been Spoofed! — What to Do to Fix the Problem